As you may know, I have started to use a Samsung Galaxy S instead of an iPhone and have been going through the process of settings things up and moving across my content. When I got around to setting up my Hotmail accounts I wanted to use the newly available Exchange ActiveSync interface.
What I found was that despite putting in the settings I believed to be correct it just didn’t seem to work properly. I was fairly sure I put in my e-mail address and password correctly for my Hotmail account as well as the server address of “m.hotmail.com”. I even deleted and recreated the Hotmail account to no avail.
Then I realised something.
When setting up an Exchange account in Android, it precedes the provided username with a backslash (i.e. “\” for those who get confused). Previously, I had deleted this as I thought this was a mistake but on my final attempt I left the backslash and put in my e-mail address after it and tried again.
Eureka – it worked!
So if you are facing a problem similar to the issue I faced then make sure you leave the backslash – it will make all the difference!