For some reason when you reboot your Windows computer you might see the following error:
Keep the USB drive plugged in.
Only remove it after your PC has shut down completely. Otherwise, your Windows To Go workspace might crash and you could lose data.
The quick way to fix this is by editing the Windows registry.
Proceed at your own risk! Mucking up the following could render your computer inoperable!
- Click Start,
- Type in regedit then press Enter,
- Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control on the left side of the window,
- Select the PortableOperatingSystem key in the right pane,
- Delete the key by pressing Delete on your keyboard,
- Confirm deletion by clicking Yes,
- Close regedit,
- Restart the computer.
That should stop the message from coming up but that may return if you plugin a USB drive that has the same unique ID as one of the hard drives inside your computer. I’ll write up a separate article to cover that and link it here when I am done.