Here’s a tip that might be handy for those using Windows 8 or most other recent versions of Windows.
If using the charms bar in Windows 8 makes your head explode then you might fancy creating a shortcut to restart, hibernate, standby or shutdown your computer. It’s very easy to do as follows:
- Right click on a blank space on the desktop,
- Select New then Shortcut,
- In the new window that appears copy and paste one of the following to restart, hibernate, standby, shutdown or log off respectively:
- %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe –r
- %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
- %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Standby
- %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe –s
- %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe –l
- Click Next,
- Give the shortcut a meaningful name (something corresponding to the function might be helpful like Restart or Shutdown,
- Click Finish.
Your new shortcut should now appear on the desktop and you can also pin it to the Start Screen or taskbar for easy access.