Here’s a quick tip for those of you with brand new Windows RT tablets with keyboards including the Microsoft Surface.
By default, Windows RT has sounds enabled for keystrokes which can be handy for when you are trying to get used to a new keyboard but it can become rather annoying once you get the hang of things. It can also cause others in the vicinity to stare daggers in your general direction when you are typing away and they are trying to do other things.
In the interests of ongoing harmonious coexistence you may wish to turn off the keystroke sounds as follows:
- Get to the Start Screen by tapping the Window key on your keyboard (assuming it is attached),
- Hit Window + C,
- Select Settings,
- At the bottom of the screen tap Change PC settings,
- On the next screen, tap General on the left,
- On the right, scroll down until you see the Touch keyboard section,
- Locate the option to Plat key sounds as I type and turn it off by tapping on it,
- Hit the Window key on the keyboard.
May you continue to live a long and happy life in society 🙂