Here’s a tip if you’ve upgraded to Windows 8.1.
In some circumstances your upgrade may have backed up your old Windows installation into a Windows.Old folder in the C Drive. This can take up a lot of space particularly on smaller solid state drives where available capacity can be at a premium.
If you want to remove the Windows.Old folder properly then this how:
- Go to the Start Screen,
- Type in free up disk space,
- Select the options that says Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files,
- Make sure that C: is selected and click OK,
- After the initial scan, click the Clean up system files button,
- On the next screen, select the following options:
- Previous Windows installation(s),
- Windows upgrade logs,
- Click OK.
Simply wait for the process to finish and you should have recovered some extra disk space.